Tuesday, August 30, 2005

There is no other pill to take, so swallow the one that makes you ill

Has medication just become a regular part of our day-to-day lives?

After listening to a lengthy conversation between my parents about my grandfather's latest trip to the doctor and the subsequent refilling of some of my parents own medications I started wondering how many people out there hold the same extensive collection of childproof amber bottles in their cabinets.

Have we strayed so far from a healthy natural lifestyle that our bodies can no longer function properly without supplementing the varied hormones and chemicals keeping us all going? My mother age 42 has just started taking new stronger blood pressure meds while claiming that she resorted to these pills only after several years of attempting to regulate herself through natural methods without success. As she's telling me this I can't help but think that I can't remember a single instance of any diet whose base didn't consist of large portions of red meat and varied forms of potatoes with a small side of whatever variety of frozen vegetables were thawed out in those few minutes before "dinner time"; meals such as this I avoid when at all possible. Nor can I think of her asking to tag along with me on any of my jogs, trips to the gym or whatever obscure form of exercise I was into at the time.

Now I have no beef with necessary medications, ie. My father takes one pill a day because he was born with a heart murmur, also my mother had her thyroid removed when she developed cancer in her early thirties and now takes a hormone supplement to regulate her metabolism and basically keeps her alive. Both of these to me seem like reasonable causes to take their specific medications. However; the idea of taking countless more medications for the purpose of encouraging an already unhealthy lifestyle seems absolutely ridiculous.

I do not consider keeping yourself alive and healthy to be an unnecessary hassle or a waste of time, because that’s what life is and when done poorly that life ceases to be. Nature couldn't have made this more simple, if you can't make time in your life to keep yourself alive than you must have your head permanently shoved up your ass

But I digress. Personally I am 20 years old and am on no form of medications, I am constantly active and take pride in keeping myself healthy. If at any time I start opting for the meds I plead that somebody out there track me down and push my face into some water until the bubble stop.

That’s it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home